Looking for quick and affordable ways to breathe new life into your home without spending a fortune? You’ve come to the right place! There are so many ways to update your space and satisfy the craving to redecorate without breaking the bank.
When restyling on a budget, I often recommend keeping your bigger ticket furniture items as your base, and updating the surrounding accessories and decor. Making a few key changes can go a long way! Here are some of my favorite budget-friendly suggestions when it comes to restyling your home:
1. Paint: One of the most impactful ways to change the look and feel of any room is with paint. Whether you’re into neutrals or bold colors, repainting is an easy way to give your space the fresh start you’re looking for. Plus, if you’re up for tackling this project yourself it can pretty inexpensive and may only take a day or two depending on how many rooms you’re painting.
2. Rearrange Furniture: Take a moment to evaluate the way your furniture is arranged. Is it optimal for the space? Does it make the room feel open and inviting, or more closed off? Is there too much or too little? If you’re like me, I sometimes need to try it a couple different ways to know for sure. Give it a go! You may find an arrangement you like better than what you had before.
3. New Accessories: Bringing in new accessories, rather than switching out large furniture, is an affordable way to achieve a fresh, new look. (This is where I like to play around with items that may be a little more trendy!) Try bringing in new pieces such as art, throw pillows, bedding or decor items, and that older furniture you may not have been loving will take on a whole new look!
4. Shop Within Your Home: Don’t have a lot to spend on new accessories? Try “shopping” the items you already have! Often times we’ve had things displayed a certain way for so long we don’t even think about it anymore! Maybe there are things you’ve had stored away for awhile, or perhaps accessories from one room could be used in a different room in a new way. Don’t be afraid to mix it up!
5. Restyle Shelves: One of my favorite ways to mix up decor is with shelf styling. I’m constantly rearranging and changing things up on our shelves at home, and for me that's be part of the fun! Not sure where to start? I recommend removing everything in order to start with a clean slate. As you’re adding items, play around with different combinations. Using elements of various sizes, textures and colors can create a nice balance and flow to your display. Another thing I like to remember is that less is more! The great part is there is no right or wrong, it’s really about displaying items you love and figuring out what looks great to you! You’ll be ready to take that “shelfie” pic in no time!
6. Swap Out Pictures: Are some of the photos displayed on your shelves or gallery wall in need of an update? Switching out some of the photos with a few of your more recent memories is a great way to keep things fresh! I love using a mix of old and new, color and black and white, as well as scenic and family photos. Which to choose? Any that make you happy to look at :)
7. Recover or paint furniture: Have some of your furniture pieces seen better days? If you love the structure of a piece, but aren’t into the color or fabric, switch it up! Tap into your inner DIY’er by reupholstering a chair, painting a dated dresser with a bold color or spraying some accessories with metallic paint. You may not even recognize the items anymore, which could be exactly what you’re going for!
8. Change Up Hardware: Another simple DIY tip for refreshing your space is to swap out the existing hardware on things like kitchen cabinets, closet doors, dressers or doorknobs. Home improvement stores have tons of options (a vintage style like the one shown here is very affordable at places like The Home Depot!) This quick and easy update will add a fresh, modern spin to your existing furniture or cabinetry.
9. Fresh Blooms: Looking for a quick fix? You can never go wrong with flowers! Bringing in fresh blooms is a great way to add a little pop of color and life into your space. Place them in rooms where you spend the most time and you’ll be sure to get the most enjoyment out of them! For affordable bouquets, I love checking what the local grocery stores and farmer’s markets have to offer. They often have specials certain days of the week! Separating one large bouquet into smaller groupings around the house is a great way to save money and enjoy them throughout your home!
10. Simplify & Declutter: Maybe for you it’s not so much about bringing in new items or rearranging furniture, but more about simplify your space. Following the idea of “less is more” take a look at the items in your home and ask yourself “Does this make me happy, inspire me or make my life easier?” If the answer is no, maybe it’s time think about getting rid of it. Sometimes having less stuff is the most refreshing thing of all!
What are some of your favorite budget-friendly ways to refresh your space?